August 13, 2008

Moving Boxes

Moving requires a ridiculous amount of cardboard. Cardboard is not really exciting as far as materials go, which is why I feel funny spending money on something so ubiquitous as common cardboard. Turns out, there's a lot to be found for cheap, if you know where to go. Having moved from SLC to Provo, Provo to SLC and now SLC to KS, we've got the art of dumpster diving down pat. 

The best place is the "cardboard only" dumpster behind your local Barnes and Noble (or other comparable bookstore). Since these boxes used to only hold books, they're not messy and gross like the cardboard behind restaurants. They're sturdy, not too big that they get heavy, and they stack pretty well. Better still, the employees flatten the boxes before they throw them out so you can easily fit a few dozen in the trunk of a sedan.

Another good place for cardboard is Jenni's place of employment: a dental office. It turns out that dental supplies come in a variety of very good boxes that are perfect for re-use. Other boxes we used in the move came from baby supplies and saving various boxes that seemed to find their way to my parent's house over the last few months.

In that spirit, we would like to thank our many box suppliers: Barnes and Noble (both Provo and SLC locations), Patterson Dental Supplies, C-Fold paper towels, Pierson Dental Supplies, Vizo TVs, Peg-Perego, Pack n' Play, and a banker father with banker boxes.

The moving truck has now been packed, thanks to the brave efforts of Jenni's brothers, but we'll have to post those photos later. 

5 comments:

john & natalie said...

We blogged briefly a little while ago but I just wanted to say hello again. John & I moved into Aberdeen two weeks ago and we love it. Email me if we can do anything to help you guys when you get here.

Lizzie said...

That pictures is priceless. Moving stinks. Hope you are getting settled!

w and w said...

Good luck in Kansas you two! We loved church today and pleasantly ran into your cousin Mike and sister Ann. We're thrilled to be in their ward. We just can't get away from you all! Thank heavens!

john & natalie said...

I'm sorry you guys moved in and we didn't know about it! I hope you had enough help. I was hoping to get a chance to introduce myself to you at church. We live in NN6 so it's right across from you guys. Email me at nberger07@gmail.com and I will add you to our blog. John will be glad to have a 1L to talk to. One more thing...Are you guys related to Blaire & Laura Jenkins?

Unknown said...

Ah man, you've only been gone a couple of days and we miss you already! I hope that your dumpster diving was successful. It looks like you scored some sweet boxes. When are you going to post pics of your new place? And Owen? Or perhaps new pictures of Owen in your new place?!