March 17, 2009

Oh the places we go. . .


Joseph offered to leave his computer with me this weekend since he was going back to Salt Lake for a couple of days. I was so excited to be able to have the nice computer all to myself, but what he failed to mention was that the power cord had been acting up lately and turns out it was not even charging anymore; by Sunday afternoon it was completely dead. So Monday Owen and I set out to the apple store about 45 minutes away. When we got there they told us we had to make an appointment to have the computer fixed and would have to have that done at another store in Kansas City. I loaded Owen back into the car and started the drive. I was told it was only a 20 minute drive, however it turned into a 45 minute drive as I missed a couple of turns! I called the apple store to tell them I would be running late and they told me that I had 11 minutes to get there or else they would cancel my appointment. So here I was driving down some highway, I didn't even know if I was in Kansas or Missouri, or if I was headed east or west and I had 11 minutes to get where I was going! Well I found my way to the mall but had no idea where the apple store was. I loaded Owen (who was an angel the whole day) into the stroller and started running. Here I was running around The Plaza shopping district with a 9 month old who only had one shoe on and a mohawk, while I was holding Joseph's lap top and stopping anyone who would listen to ask if they knew where the apple store was. I was frantically looking at my watch as 11 minutes went to 5 minutes and I still had no clue where to turn. I called my friend to see if she could direct me and stuck my head into restaurants to ask the hostesses. I finally ran into the store realizing that I had parked directly across the street from it and if I had only looked up for a second I would have saved a lot of time, energy, and embarrassment. As I ran red faced into the store I was told that my appointment had been canceled and they would just have to fit me when they could... I caught my breath, looked down at Owen and went to the corner of the store and sat there. I was too tired to be annoyed. Owen smiled and laughed with me for a minute and then one of the techs came up to me and said, "Jenni? Let's see what we can do for your computer." It was like heaven in Kansas City. They fixed the computer in no time and we were on our way. Owen fell asleep on the way home and I made it back to the apartment with out any wrong turns (as soon as I figured out which freeway to get on!)
I never thought I was that bad at directions, but taking the mountains away has made me realize how much I depended on them back home. Owen and I have to venture out again to get Joseph from the airport today- lets hope I don't find myself at an apple store instead!

Happy St. Patricks Day!

7 comments:

JGEM said...

I would die without a computer. It was a deal we made when Justin went to school. I got a computer too. But hey, I have my old laptop which has issues, but is still usable (it has really funny fonts because of screen issue and it only plays DVDs when it wants to) but next time in your town we should hand it off. I haven't known what to do with it because I don't know anything about computers or how to erase them and keep people from stealing my identity. But I think I could trust you not to steal my identity. Maybe :)

Unknown said...

You are such a brave soul to venture out on your own like that, I know that I would be lost in a second and I wouldn't handle it nearly as graceful as you did! We had such a great time swapping stories with Joe, and I'm sure you'll be happy to have him back. And THANK YOU for the darling birthday present! You are always so on-the-ball and thoughtful. I kept wanting to call you, but since my phone is home with your parents I'll have to call on Rob's phone tonight. PS - Owen looks like a regular little Irishman!
Love you!

Holly said...

That's about the worst Apple customer service story I've ever heard! I'm glad someone helped you in the end.

Owen is a fantastic St. Patrick's day baby. I wish I'd taken pictures of my kids in their green today! Blast!

Lizzie said...

What a crazy day! So did they fix the computer? Good thing Owen is such a good babe. And cute too!

Tiffany Winters said...

I'm glad you didn't call me... I would have made you more lost. Glad you got everything figured out. Green is a good color for Owen.

KHH said...

Jenni Doll, I think you are amazing! Good job finding your way all over that place. Sounds like you didn't even cry like I do at the MTC. You're a brave woman! And little Owen is an absolute angel.
Can't wait to see you both in 10 days!!

Emmy Z. said...

Adam and I have a GPS system that we use all the time here in Kansas. We'd be hopelessly lost without it!

Owen always looks so happy! What a cute smile!