Jenni's family has attended the Round Valley Rodeo in Scipio, UT every 24th of July since long before she was born. The population of Scipio triples on rodeo weekend and every room in the Super-8 next to the freeway is sold out. The small-town rodeo has been named "Best Little Rodeo in the West" (at least the sign in the arena says so). The Koelliker grandkids participated in the pre-rodeo activities including sheep riding (aka mutton bustin') and the extended family takes up nearly an entire section of the bleachers. Jenni's 14yr-old nephew, Jake, won his pre-rodeo event in which they had to chase down a steer and grab a ribbon off his horns. And he did it barefoot. Barefoot in a rodeo arena. He won $10 for his achievement. Cheap thrills in a small town.
This was the last big *hurrah* before Jenni's parents head back to South Africa at the end of the week. Luckily, they are invited to come back for October Conference, so it may not be too long before we get to see them again.



5 comments:
Hi! I just wanted to introduce myself, I found your blog off of the KU law blog. We are excited to have more 1L's join us this year. I am Mykle Whiting (pronounced Michael) and hubby Wade (a 2L), we are from Oregon and we also went to BYU. So where will you guys be living in Lawrence and when do you move out here?
Sounds fun and that picture of your little fam is cute! I can't wait to meet baby Owen sometime. So you guys are going to UT for October Conference?
I have to say I am jealous of your nephew... that sounds like lots of fun. I would totally be up for a rodeo. I also think the picture of Owen on the side is an instant classic. I love the face.
PS: I liked the description "He went to EHS, she went to Highland, he went to byu, she went to the U . . .Must be love" etc. That was funny. Bring it back by popular demand.
Joseph! (and Jenni and Owen). How the heck are you? Congrats on the kid. I miss you at the RSC.
-Chris Jones
Post a Comment