November 4, 2008

Conflict of Interest, 2008


Tonight is election night in America. This is the most historic election of our nation's history; the winner will either be the first African-American president or the oldest first-term president and first female vice-president.

But tonight is also the first home game for the KU's National Championship basketball team. They will play Washburn University in an exhibition game in which they are almost guaranteed a meaningless victory (just to remind you, this is a pre-season exhibition game).

We don't have cable and the only station that our bunny-ears can pick up in any sort of viewable clarity is the local NBC station. So Jenni and I sat down to settle in for an evening of NBC's election special anchored by Brian Williams and wait for the results to come in. Brian Williams came on during NBC Nightly News' regular time before they cut back to local programing for the local news and then promised to come back to NBC's New York studio for the rest of the evening. You can imagine our surprise when the Topeka news anchor then reported, "We will not be going back to NBC's election coverage tonight until after the end of the KU men's basketball game. Stay tuned until then for election results."

Our jaws dropped. Instead of showing the national news coverage of this historic election, they are going to broadcast the basketball game. I'm sure that many local residents were relieved to hear that they could still see the game. After all, this is the birthplace of basketball and the roots run deep.

Luckily, we were able to pick up the ABC station after some fiddling with the antenna. The good news is that if the election results aren't going our way, there's a great basketball game on the other station to cheer us up.

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

No way. That is hilarious.

Tiffany Winters said...

That's awesome... where are people's priorities? I ask that because if that happened to me, I would maybe think twice about what I would want to watch, and that's sad.

ebv said...

So not surprised. Disappointed? Maybe. Surprised? No.

Miss you guys!!!

Megs said...

Hi Jenni!!! I am so glad you found my blog!! Little Owen is such a cutie!!!!! Those pumpkin pictures are the best. Hope you guys are having fun, miss seeing you at your parents. Hopefully we will run into each other on the lawn at christmas!!

Brie said...

Jenni! How are you? This is Brienne Frank. I found you guys on Ryan & Stephanie's blog. What a cute little boy you have. Congrats. I hope that things are going well for Joseph in law school. When you have a chance stop by our blog and say hi, www.thefabfranks.blogspot.com