This is my first post. So far Joseph has been the only one to post out of the two of us, I just haven't had a chance to learn- so hopefully this works! Joseph is at school all day today and it is a rainy and cold day in Kansas so Owen and I are staying indoors, which is fine seeing as how yesterday we found ourselves all over Kansas... by accident. I have been looking for a few last pieces of furniture to finish off our room and Owen's room. So yesterday I went downtown in hopes of finding something, but with no luck I was coming home frustrated and not knowing what to do. When I remembered about the Nebraska Furniture Mart which is only about 35 miles away, however I would have to make a few freeway changes and go through a toll, but having past it the day before on our way into Kansas City, I felt like I could do it. I called a few friends here in Kansas to double check where I was going and headed off on the K-10, I then found I-70 and my last transfer was to get on the 435, however I forgot if I wanted to go 435 North or 435 South, as I turned onto the 435 South I saw the Nebraska Furniture Mart in my rear view mirror, I quickly got off the freeway and headed back into the right direction. I parked and starred at the HUGE store feeling a little overwhelmed by its massiveness, but Owen and I made our way towards the entrance, we looked around but didn't quite find what we needed so I decided to get going before Owen got hungry. I loaded him in his car seat and it began. . . Owen was getting fussing as I got back on the 435, by the time we were on I-70 Owen was crying and screaming uncontrollably (imagine the baby Jack Jack from Incredibles when he gets really mad at the end of the movie and his face turns all red, that was Owen) then to add to it a sudden rain storm came pounding down on us, I'm not afraid to admit that I let out a few small screams of my own when the rain began pounding so hard I couldn't see in front of myself and semi's were passing me leaving me to deal with their wake of water they left behind. So I decided I better pull over, feed my baby, and let the storm blow over. I parked in a gas station and suddenly Owen was fascinated by the water hitting the back windshield and was completely quiet, when I tried to feed him he just sat in my arms and smiled up at me. So seeing that he was in control and the storm was calming down I went back on the rode. Not two minutes onto the freeway and Owen had turned into Jack Jack again and the storm is as bad as ever. So imagine me reaching back to hold Owen's hand to help him get control and trying to drive, in the storm- needless to say somewhere along there I missed the exit. Owen eventually fell asleep and the rain was no longer pounding and I began to see signs for Topeka! Which is the city past Lawrence- panic mode began. Visions of being lost in Topeka started flashing through my mind, not only was I not in Lawrence I was beginning to question whether I ever went in the right direction after living the furniture store, I was imagining my conversation with Joseph- "I am in Topeka, but I don't know how to get back home because I have no mountains to tell me where North South East or West is!" Finally I saw a toll booth so I knew I could turn around, I figured I should start retracing my steps. First sign I see says Lawrence 17 miles. Not only had I missed my exit- I'd missed it by 17 miles and found myself in Topeka! Well I paid a little bit closer attention to the signs this time and made it home before Owen woke up again and was glad to see our little apartment here in Kansas! I hope you all get a laugh out of my afternoon in Kansas! This is a picture of Owen just as we came back from our adventure to Topeka.
This is Joseph on his first day of Law School!!
Here are just a cute picture of Owen! He is getting so big!



9 comments:
Oh man... I should have told you that on the way back on I-70 you can't get off at exit 202 because of Construction. You have to get off at 204. I'm sorry you almost got to Topeka. And I really hate not having mountains nearby also. In Colorado and Utah I had them.
Oh Jenni, you're amazing that you could finally get home in one piece. Any one of those things could have derailed you and you "weathered" them all! Owen is absolutely beautiful, and filling out so much just since I was there. Kiss those chubby little cheeks for me! I also love Jose on his 1st day of Law School. Just like Sadie with her backpack...xoxoxk
I would have been totally crying my eyes out! That is quite the story! Owen is Soooooooooo big & cute. I want to snuggle him! Can't wait until December 20th!
Honestly I don't know how you did it! I would have pulled off the side of the road and had a heart attack...there is nothing worse than being lost and having no way of knowing how to get back! I am seriously proud of you for handling that and baby Jack Jack at the same time. Speaking of which he is getting SO big! Could he be any cuter?! We miss you guys!
Kansas is very confusing. You aren't the only one who gets lost. In fact, I don't like to go anywhere without John for fear of ending up on a one way street going the wrong way.
Cute baby boy! And Joseph looks pretty good, too on his first day. The story about getting lost is all to real for me! There have been (many) moments when I call Chris not only in a panic, but mad that I'm lost. Now I have a Garmin. Congratulations for making it home in one piece! And on your first blog entry!
haha :) It's been fun to read of your adventures guys. We miss having you all around...and we'll go to Lon's in your memory sometime soon! Good luck with everything...Owen is growing up so big already!
Hey Joseph!
Elaine was blog-surfing and found yours!! I was so excited! Congrats on the little one! That's also good news about law school.
Keep in touch.
Ron
That is hilarious! I still get lost all over Cincinnati - even in different parts of the city - because there are no mountains to tell me which way is home. Sometimes I have to call Rob at work and have him figure out where I am and then how to get home.
Post a Comment